Sunday, February 28, 2010

Melting Snow Gives Up Treasure!

Well, one of the silver linings of the snowy Winter of 2009-2010 is that the ice and snow has been piled around vending machines and parking meters for several weeks.  I've heard conjecture in the past that piles of snow would reveal coins when they melt, but I hadn't had the opportunity to test that theory until now.  The big thaw isn't here yet, but the snow has been receding enough that I was able to start checking.  I'm happy to say that it's true!  There were coins everywhere as the snow melted.  It was a lot of fun to walk down a row of parking meters and find a coin or two under every other one. I didn't realize people drop so many coins at them, but on the other hand, their fingers are cold or they may be wearing gloves.  Once the coin goes into a snowbank, it's pretty much gone. 

After being surprised to find 69 coins during my walks in January, I was amazed to come up with 90 in February, including the 20 I found in airports, which I talked about in an earlier post.  That's the equivalent of a couple of times out with the metal detector.  Since it's been so snowy and frozen, I wasn't able to get out with the detector at all in February, so I'm happy that moneywalking finds have picked up.  I got a big surprise in a vending machine when I pushed the return button and a silver 1964

quarter fell out.  I knew the sound said silver but didn't believe it even after I had the quarter in my hand.  You just never know what's going to appear while treasure hunting. As Mel Fisher used to say, "Today's the Day!"

1 comment:

  1. There's a guy who has a website called Luke Sidewalker (http://lukesidewalker.com/) who talks about finding spare change on sidewalks, etc. He also has a Twitter account of the same name where he posts real-time news of his discoveries. It's fun to check out occasionally.

    Sounds like you've found some cool stuff. As for me, I'm into old telephones & literature related to them (ads, brochures, etc.)
    Best,
    Dave B
    http://www.podcastparty.blogspot.com
    ( a.k.a. "Idlewild" on Xomba)

    ReplyDelete